STBM Pilot Program Phase 3, 10 Groups in
Village West Tianyar Kubu Sub district, Karangasem regency
Once of the VZK intervention at West Tianyar village Kubu sub district, Karangasem district related in health sector is STBM. It’s application in 4 dusun are Muntigunung Induk, Muntigunung Tengah, Muntigunung Barat and Muntigunung Timur. The population the of 4 dusun (1154 families representing a total population of 5319 inhabitants – spread over 36 groups)
The behaviour hygiene practices by Muntigunung community very low and environmental sanitation is still very bad. The community who have a safe sanitation facilities are very limited in number. The community defecate outdoors are habits. The knowledge of how germs can be transported from human feces to mouth (the contamination) has not become general knowledge in the community
To start the campaign and encourage behavioral change in hygiene and sanitation as an effort to improve public health, since 2011 VZK / YMDA develop sanitation pilot program with STBM approach (Community-Base Total Sanitation) in collaboration with Mitra Samya. This approach was chosen because the triggering strategies to change people’s behavior proved more effective at this time. Pilot program will focus on changing the behavior of community defecate in outdoors with a systematic approach triggers which means subsidies (hardware) is minimized.
The pilot program began in November 2011, this program aims to:
(1) to introduce behavior changes in terms of hygiene and sanitation to the community, (2)
, identify cultural and environmental constraints toward behavior change in order to improve STBM approach to be applied in the whole group at Muntigunung, (3) reach a free condition of defecation (outdoors defecation free-ODF) in the pilot group and
(4) identify natural leaders in the health aspects of the pilot communities.
First-year pilot program, conducted in 3 groups: Cangkeng, kulkul 1 and kulkul-2. The three groups have had a social structure that can assist the process of motivation, the chairman of the group and some of the community leaders also have to have good motivation to make changes in the community in order to improve health level of community.
The STBM program application in 2013 is the implementation ptogram STBM phase 2. The number of groups that have been committed in phase 2 to implement the program STBM in the group are 10 group. Only at this stage there are three groups that are committed to become the location of STBM application in the group even though the group did not set out in the community workshops.
While the implementation of STBM program in 2014 is 3rd phase (third). STBM program 2014 applied in 10 largest groups at 4 hamlets. The groups are TEGAL SUCI, DESA, ASAH, BAISSENJUNG, KELUMPU, BATU BULEH 2, TEGENTEGENAN, NYELINTI KELOD, NYELINTI KAJE AND TUKAD LENGKUAS
The number of groups that have been triggered by Facilitator STBM program in Muntigunung are 8 groups. The Eight group ARE; TEGAL SUCI, DESA,ASAH, BAISSENJUNG, KELUMPU, BATU BULEH 2, TEGENTEGENAN, NYELINTI KELOD while 2 groups that have triggered is NYELINTI KAJE AND TUKAD LENGKUAS. The reason of Facilitator up to now have not trigger cause no perfect time to collect the community caused most of the community working outside the village although temporary only
B. Some of the agenda of activities that have been implemented in the 3rd phase STBM program, among others:
The Name Of Activities Implementation Place Participant Output
• Strategy triggers development February 2014 Muntigunung Mitra Samya, Puskesmas Team Design triggers development; Draft Technical Details; The draft curriculum and modules capacity strengthening
• Modification and development of modules for the implementation of activities in 10 groups March 2014 Puskesmas Kubu Puskesmas Kubu Team, Facilitator The curriculum and training modules mativator also triggers available and prepared it depend on implementation STBM program experience before.
• The communication to the Health Department to obtain formal support March 2014 Health Department Karang Asem and Puskesmas Kubu Husnuzzonni, Desi Sumartiningsih, Shauqi Akbar Support for the STBM implementation phase 3 in Muntigunung area.
B. TRAINING-1 AND TRIGGERS AND CTPS
• Motivator Training March 2014 Demplot VZK – Dusun Muntigunung Cadre, Facilitator, Mitra Samya Consultant, Sanitation Committee Increase the knowledge attitudes and skills related to the role of motivator and function.
• Cadre Training for triggers in the community (Triggers Training) April 2014 Balai Banjar Muntigunung Induk Cadre of 10 groups, Puskesmas Kubu, Facilitator , Sanitation Committee Increase Facilitator and Cadre knowledge, skill pengetahuan , in CLTS methode to conduct in society triggering.
• Field site Practice in 1 group April 2014 Tegal Suci group Cadre, Facilitator and puskesmas Kubu, Sanitation Committee The participants can try to triggers in one group on practice location.
• Triggering in 8 groups May au to August 2014 Each Groups The group of man (Father) and women (Mother) group, Sanitation Committee, Puskesmas Kubu The community commitment awakening, especially fathers and mothers to build simple sanitation facilities that have been set in the schedule
• CTPS Training August 2014 5 groups have been triggers Puskesmas Kubu, Facilitator, Sanitation Committee Increase the knowledge related to how to hand washing.
C. TRAINING II SANITATION LADDER (OPTION) AND MONITORING VERIFICATION
• Training OPTION Sanitation and monitoring verification 15-16 October 2023 Balai Banjar Dusun Muntigunung Facilitator Puskesmas Kubu, Motivator , Team Trainer Mitra Samya • Increase the knowledge and skills related motivators and facilitators in community sanitation options.
• The participants increase the understanding how to monitoring and verification.
• Field Site practice for monitoring dan verification 16 October 2014 Group Asah Facilitator Puskesmas Kubu, Motivator , Trainer Mitra Samya Team The Participants more competent to perform monitoring and verification in latrines progress.
• Monitoring the progress of latrines construction November – December 2014 8 groups Facilitator and Puskesmas Kubu, Identification of the group’s progress in facilities sanitation construction facilities.
C. Facts And Change
The Facts and changes that occur during the process, especially motivator and facilitator quite a lot, this case supported by participatory learning process and encourage the community to discuss their life personally. Learning opportunities to increase the capacity as a motivator/cadre in community continue to developed such as give opportunity for all communities try to presentation in front communities. Is good to encourage community in participate much better. Also during the training too, many changes experienced by participants, among others:
• Some of the material present while the training can be absorbed by participants / motivator because the methods used appropriate and easily understood by the participants.
• Some of participants, especially from the communities feel proud in triggers training involved and a lot of knowledge that can be applied in the community the results of the training.
• The involvement of Puskesmas increase, beside Ibu Desi there are more Puskesmas staff who actively assist in the process technical assistance in the community.
• Beberapa peserta menjadi optimis setelah melakukan proses dilapangan dan melihat antusias masyarakat dalam menerima program kesehatan ini akhirnya mendapat keyakinan untuk keberhasilan program STBM dimas yang akan datang. Some of the participants became optimistic after making processes in the field and saw the enthusiastic of communities to receive health program, finally confidence to success of the next STBM dimas program.
• Beside the skills, experience and new sciences, for example, strategy motivation and facilitate the communities to change their behavior on self-consciousness of the community themselves.
• Increasing understanding of motivators and facilitators related to the role and function as a community mobilizer. The Functions and roles carried out during as motivator in their each groups.
D. Lesson Learn in Program
Besides that changes that occurred some lessons learn that can be learned from STBM pilot program especially for facilitators and motivator. Some learning more appearance during the process, among others;
Open attitude study effort to be main attraction of learning, especially for the motivator. Forward participation of community the key success in similarity perception and capacity cadre / motivator
The Process of learning experiences forward and success stories in the community turned out make participants enthusiastic in following the training process
The initiative emergence and efforts to encourage the success of the program in each groups for example using a personalized approach.
An effort sharing in use of latrines continue to be developed to keep the environment kept clean.
Encouraging the community to change their behavior needs long term and good approach and intensive.
By the following directly, beside interaction developing between community and government also participants from the government can learn the technical development programs related to community-based participatory sanitation.
After program application in most groups in Muntigunung has provided lesson learn so expected to sustain and usefull and impact so it is necessary to plan a systematic effort, especially in the development of sanitation in hamlets, villages and other districts. The outcome of lesson learn STBM application in Muntigunung can be recommended several inputs such as:
Give priority to the role of local facilitators that can assist accelerate the process of access sanitation facilities in communities and groups.
The role of training and beneficiary regularly given to the local facilitators to provide confidence facilitator for change towards the better.
Provide the cadre and Facilitator opportunity to give chance in every stage to facilitate in training process, motivate cadre and facilitators to assist the program in the community.
The community response more positive, in response in the field site activities, especially triggers in the community.
Any other social gathering regularly group with the latrine social gathering regularly system. (Tegal Suci and Kelumpu,)
The Puskesmas Kubu staff is quantitatively more and more to become active in the triggers together in Muntigunung.
Conduct discussions with communities with tematic meeting activities in PAD program.
Good commitment of communities was triggered primarily to changes community behavior by group Asah chairperson.
Motivators and Facilitators as well as the Department of Health is important to promote of successes that result / impact of the efforts that have been made in the environment or group Cangkeng
Facilitator and motivator should strive to review-reflection and sharing of knowledge and experiences on a regular basis related to sanitation OPTIONS and strategies monitoring and verification in the other group.
Motivator and Facilitator should seek to expand and intensify the development of programs related to another group with STBM. Improving the approach according to their experience and the evolving dynamics
The Facilitator should continue strive to provide assistance so that the results of community triggering can be sustainable.
Emergence of community initiatives to develop patterns of social gathering group can be an example to develop future programs on different groups to build a healthy latrine.
F. Planning in The Future
Verification of several groups that will ODF by facilitators and Puskesmas.
In January there will be some groups will perform ODF (PLASTIC BAGS, MIING, PENDEM KAJE, PILAH MEGANTUNG, CANGKENG, EMBAKAN LINGGAH
Make an approach use several terms in religion and customs in order to trigger the community.
Workshop in 4 hamlets to inform the achievements and triggers location determination and build commitment to support STBM activity phase 4 (four)
Triggers in 2 groups: Tukad Lengkuas and Nyelinti Kaje.
CLTS (Community Led Total Sanitation) Program Pencontohan di Muntigunung, Karang Asem, Bali
Dusun Muntigunung, (1154 keluarga mewakili total populasi 5.319 – terdiri dari 35 kelompok), merupakan bagian dari Desa Tianjar Barat, Kecamatan Kubu, Kabupaten Karangasem di bagian timur utara Bali. Daerah ini mencakup 28 km² di ketinggian antara 200 dan 800 meter di atas permukaan laut. Dataran yang berkontur dan ngarai kecil membuat sulit untuk menyeberang dari satu Kelompok ke kelompok yang lain. 13 dari 35 desa tidak dapat dicapai dengan kendaraan melainkan harus berjalan kaki.
Praktek perilaku kebersihan oleh masyarakat Muntigunung sangat rendah dan sanitasi lingkungannya juga masih sangat buruk. Tak satu pun dari keluarga di kelompok percontohan memiliki fasilitas sanitasi yang aman. Buang air besar terbuka masih merupakan praktek umum oleh masyarakat. Perilaku buang air besar terbuka yang telah menjadi kebiasaan sejak dulu telah membuat masyarakat kehilangan perasaan malu dan menjijikkan. Pengetahuan tentang bagaimana kuman bisa diangkut dari kotoran ke mulut makanan dan manusia (rute kontaminasi) belum menjadi pengetahuan umum di masyarakat pada saat ini.
TAPAK-TAPAK AWAL DARI RENCANA PERJALANAN PANJANG
(Catatan Kegiatan Mitra Samya dan Masyarakat di Kawasan Mareje Bonga*)
Mengapa Mitra Samya ada di kawasan Mareje Bonga
Kawasan Mareje-Bonga adalah kawasan hutan seluas 3.300 Ha yang berada di bagian selatan Kabupaten Lombok Tengah Propinsi Nusa Tenggara Barat yang meliputi 3 wilayah kecamatan yaitu Kecamatan Praya Barat Daya di ujung barat, Kecamatan Praya Barat di bagian tengah dan Kecamatan Pujut di ujung timur.
Ada 13 wilayah desa yang berbatasan langsung dengan desa kawasan ini yaitu Desa Batu Jangkih, Montong Sapah, Montong Ajan, Kabul dan Pandan Indah (Kecamatan Praya Barat Daya), Desa Bonder, Mangkung, Kateng, Banyu Urip, Mekarsari dan Selong Belanak (Kecamatan Praya Barat) serta Desa Tumpak dan Pengembur (Kecamatan Pujut).